Migrating Panopto Videos

Email dated July 8, 2021

This article can also be found in the WSU Knowledge Base.

Impacted users

Instructors of courses outside of Global Campus who have created or uploaded videos in Blackboard-Panopto or Canvas-Panopto.

What is the issue?

WSU is working with Panopto to complete a system migration that will transfer existing Panopto videos from Blackboard to Canvas. This migration will result in all Panopto videos available in Canvas beginning Fall 2021.

When is the migration?

The migration is scheduled for the month of August, just prior to Blackboard’s decommissioning on August 21. Please see below for the detailed timeline.

Timeline

Canvas Migration: August 9 – August 13, 2021

• Any videos that were created or uploaded in Canvas-Panopto (prior to Aug 9) will not be available to view or edit during this timeframe.
  • Blackboard-Panopto videos will be available to view and edit.
  • New Canvas-Panopto videos can be created or uploaded.
  • Instructors and students will be able to access all videos created through Canvas-Panopto again starting Aug-14 2021.

Blackboard Merge: August 20 – August 25, 2021

• Please do not create or upload any new videos or edit existing videos in Blackboard-Panopto during this timeframe. If you do need to create or upload videos, please use Canvas-Panopto. Learn how to create or upload Panopto videos in Canvas
  • Any videos that were created or uploaded in Blackboard-Panopto will not be available to view or edit during this timeframe.
  • Canvas-Panopto videos will be available to view and edit.
  • On Aug-26, all videos created or uploaded in both Canvas-Panopto and Blackboard-Panopto will be available in Canvas.

Who/What is impacted?

I am an instructor who is using Canvas this Fall and I need my course videos from Blackboard.

Option 1: Wait until Aug 26, 2021, and when the system migration is complete, you will be able to access your Blackboard-Panopto videos in Canvas. Once you are able to access the videos, you will need to move or copy your Panopto videos to the appropriate Canvas course folder. You may also contact migrationhelp@wsu.edu for assistance.

Option 2: If necessary, you may manually migrate the first two weeks of Panopto videos from Blackboard to Canvas prior to Aug 20, 2021. Please contact migrationhelp@wsu.edu for assistance or learn how to manually migrate your videos. Please note from Aug 20 – Aug 25, Blackboard-Panopto videos will not be accessible for manual migration. The last day to send migration requests to migrationhelp@wsu.edu is Aug 17, 2021.

Can I migrate all my videos manually prior to the system migration?

Yes, this is possible with some limitations. To manually migrate your videos, you must download them from Blackboard and then upload to Canvas. When you download the Panopto videos, you will lose some Panopto features including:

• Table of Contents
  • Embedded Quizzes
  • Embedded YouTube videos
  • Closed Captioning

These video features would need to be re-created manually after they are uploaded. Learn how to manually migrate your videos.

I am an instructor who is using Canvas and I already downloaded videos from Blackboard-Panopto and uploaded videos to Canvas-Panopto. Am I impacted with this migration?

Yes. From Aug 9 – Aug 13, any videos that were created or uploaded in Canvas-Panopto (prior to Aug 9) will not be available to view or edit, but you will be able to create or upload new videos. If your students need to view existing Canvas-Panopto videos during this timeframe, please share these over another platform such as sharing through OneDrive prior to Aug 9, 2021. On Aug 14, 2021, all Canvas-Panopto videos will again be accessible through Canvas.

I am an instructor who is using Canvas-Panopto and I do not need videos from Blackboard-Panopto. Am I impacted by this migration?

I am an instructor who is using Canvas in Fall and I need Blackboard-Panopto videos from a course that was taught by another instructor. How do I get access to those videos?

Please contact migrationhelp@wsu.edu and provide the Blackboard course ID to request permission to access the Panopto videos.

The Panopto links within my Canvas course do not work after Aug 25, 2021.

You may need to move or copy your Panopto videos to the appropriate Canvas course folder. Alternatively, you may contact migrationhelp@wsu.edu for assistance and provide the Canvas Course ID and link details.

After the migration, I as an instructor have access to the Panopto videos, but students are getting a ‘Request Access’ message.

What if I have other questions not covered here?

Further questions can be sent to migrationhelp@wsu.edu.

Information Technology Services
Washington State University
PO Box 641222, Pullman, WA 99164-1222